This three-day course addresses the fundamentals of smoke control, including the underlying principles of smoke control, a discussion of air moving equipment and systems, stairwell pressurization, elevator smoke control, zoned smoke control, automatic controls, and commissioning. Methods of design analysis of pressurization smoke control systems are addressed, including network computer modeling using CONTAM.
- Understand the codes and standards that define the design of smoke control systems
- Understand the benefits of performance-based smoke evacuation
- Learn how fire suppression and smoke control systems are integrated
- Demonstrate how computational fluid dynamics (CFD) can be used in performance-based fire protection designs to more accurately predict tenability and exhaust in atria.
- Identify at least four design considerations for smoke control systems
- Determine airflows—infiltration, exfiltration, and room-to-room airflows in building systems driven by mechanical means, wind pressures acting on the exterior of the building, and buoyancy effects induced by the indoor and outdoor air temperature difference
- Review a prescriptive smoke exhaust calculation and identify shortcomings.
- Understand the design criteria and specific design objectives that must be met by smoke management systems and develop suitable criteria.
- Understand contaminant concentrations—the dispersal of airborne contaminants transported by these air flows; transformed by a variety of processes including chemical and radiochemical transformation, adsorption, and desorption to building materials, filtration, and deposition to building surfaces, and generated by a variety of source mechanisms and/or.
- Know the effects of personal exposure—the predictions of exposure to occupants to airborne contaminants for eventual risk assessment.
Fire & Safety Fire Engineers
A LEADER IN Fire and safety management
At SITC, From individuals gaining professional qualifications by attending our training courses to companies implementing global, enterprise-wide compliance programs, we have a range of services that can help you.